Losing weight and type 2 diabetes do not exactly go hand in hand with Italian cuisine.
Everything from pizza to pasta doesn't do your body any good. And what about garlic bread? It seems quite impossible to find a healthy Italian dish that will benefit both your weight and your blood sugar.
But with a little ingenuity, it is possible.
This is also the case with this delicious low-carbohydrate lasagna. Where normal lasagna consists of a lot of carbohydrates because of the pasta sheets, we use lasagna sheets made out of eggplant in this recipe.
Of course you can also use zucchini lasagna sheets, but personally I think eggplant is a better addition to a lasagna. It has a Mediterranean flavor and - relatively speaking - is less watery.
This gives you, unlike many other low-carb lasagna, a dish that is not very watery/soggy. Especially if you roast the eggplant first as we do in this recipe.
Today we have a lasagna on the menu for you and perhaps a low-carb pizza next week. Keep an eye on our website!
If you feel like making this healthy lasagna? Check out the photos below to see what goodies await you.
Photos and the recipe of the low-carbohydrate lasagna (with lasagna sheets made from eggplant).
Do you want to make this low-carb lasagna with eggplant and cheese? Then go all the way down for the complete recipe of this low-carb lasagna.
Fancy a different casserole? Then take a look at our low-carb casserole with chicken and curry spices. Of course it is not a lasagna but it is certainly tasty and also low in carbohydrates.
Do you find this recipe delicious? Click on one of the buttons to share it!
Low-Carb Lasagna with Eggplant (Tastier than Zucchini)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 700 gram minced meat
- 400 gram diced tomato - canned
- 1 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon pepper
Ingredients low-carb lasagna sheets
- 1 big eggplant - cut into 8 slices
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Ingredients cheese filling
- 250 gram ricotta cheese
- 50 gram Parmesan cheese - grated
- 1 big egg
Ingredients cheese topping
- 250 gram Mozzarella or regular cheese - grated
How to make the sauce:
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and sauté the garlic light brown in 30 seconds.
- Turn up the heat and add the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. When the minced meat is brown, add the diced tomato and Italian spices and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
How to make the low-carb lasagna sheets:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place baking paper on a baking tray and place the egg plant slices side by side. Brush both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes. Leave the oven on when you take them out.
How to make the cheese filling:
- Mix all the ingredients for the cheese filling together in a bowl.
How to combine it all:
- First put a layer of eggplant in an oven dish (23x33cm) so that it covers the bottom.
- Put some of the sauce on each disc and then the cheese filling. If necessary, use a little bit of the mozzarella/cheese on top of the cheese filling.
- Repeat step 2 and add the remaining mozzarella/cheese on top of the lasagna.
- Bake the lasagna in the oven for about 15 minutes.