A quiche is a delicious savory pie that can be eaten at both lunch and dinner.
However, eating a quiche does not go hand in hand with low-carbo eating. That is mainly due to the crust of the quiche.
The crust of a quiche is normally made from dough. But dough does not belong in a low-carb diet.
So you would think that it is impossible to make a healthy quiche. But with a little creativity it is certainly possible to make a healthy version of a quiche.
The low-carb quiche from this recipe contains an almond flour base. That makes it ideal for diabetics, overweight people or people who want to eat healthier.
In this delicious recipe I chose a low-carb quiche with spinach, but you can of course also make it with cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, chicory, bell pepper and/or leek.
Are you a real meat or fish lover? Then you can always add the following products to the quiche: minced meat, chicken, bacon, ham, salmon or tuna.
It is not a quiche Lorraine, but it is certainly just as tasty.
So go crazy and add whatever you like!
For the crust of the low-carb quiche I chose almond flour. But you can make the base with any low-carb flour.
Why is a quiche with puff pastry not recommended?
Puff pastry is very high in carbohydrates and will cause a rapid rise in your blood sugar. This means that a lot of insulin is needed to process those sugar. A high insulin peak means the following things:
All the above will not happen when using almond flour.
If you feel like making this healthy low-carb quiche? Check out the photos below to see what goodies await you.
The photos and recipe of the low-carb quiche with spinach
Do you want to make this low-carb quiche with spinach? Then go all the way down for the complete recipe.
In this savory low-carb quiche, I used regular grated cheese, but you can also choose ricotta, feta, goat cheese or brie.
Do you find this recipe delicious? Click on one of the buttons to share it!
Low Carb Quiche with Spinach
- 220 gram almond flour
- 1 egg
- 55 gram butter
- Salt and peper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 300 gram fresh spinach
- 4 big eggs
- 240 ml heavy cream
- 115 gram grated cheese - of your choice
- Salt and peper
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius (340 Fahrenheit).
- Put all the ingredients for the crust in a bowl and mix well.
- Press the dough onto the bottom and along the sides of a baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes. The crust may swell during baking, but will sink back down as it cools. Let it cool and prepare the stuffing.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the garlic and spinach over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the spinach in a colander over the sink or a bowl and drain the excess liquid for about 10 minutes.
- Spread the spinach evenly over the crust and sprinkle the cheese over it.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper and carefully pour over the spinach.
- Bake the quiche in the oven for 25 to 35 minutes. It is ready when the center of the quiche stops moving when you move it.
- Cut the low-carb quiche into wedges and serve immediately.