Do you love European dishes? Then this recipe is for you.
I think a lot of Europeans loves this. A delicious sauerkraut oven dish.
But what if you are diabetic and potatoes are not recommended? Then this recipe (Low Carb Sauerkraut Casserole Recipe) - and all other casseroles - are forbidden.
Fortunately, I have a solution for this so that you can continue to enjoy your delicious casseroles.
This recipe does not contain potatoes. Potatoes are not wise for diabetics or when you want to lose weight. But an oven dish without potatoes is of course not exactly tasty.
Replace the potatoes with a variant that is more carbohydrate-friendly.
In this recipe I therefore chose oxheart cabbage, but you can also choose regular cabbage. This not only gives you much less carbohydrates, but also much more fiber. Oxheart cabbage is a healthy vegetable that you can never eat too much of.
In addition to sauerkraut and cabbage, it also contains:
This not only gives you a healthy but also a tasty recipe.
Are you more of a fan of minced meat? Then you can of course always replace the sausages with minced beef and mix that with the dish.
This low-carb sauerkraut dish is packed with fiber, protein and healthy fats.
Do you feel like making this low-carb sauerkraut casserole? Check out the photos below to see what goodies await you.
The photos and recipe of the low-carb sauerkraut casserole
Do you also get such an appetite through these photos?
Do you want to make this low-carb sauerkraut dish? Then go all the way down for the complete recipe.
Looking for more low-carb recipes besides this low-carb casserole?
Do you find this recipe delicious? Click on one of the buttons to share it!
Low-Carb Sauerkraut Casserole (Recipe Without Potatoes)
- 55 gram butter
- 100 gram onion - minced
- 2 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 green bell pepper - sliced
- 220 gram sauerkraut
- 600 gram cabbage - sliced (core removed)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice/sauerkraut juice
- 120 ml chicken stock/water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 8-12 Italian sausage
- Fresh parsley (optional) - chopped
- Cook the onions on a low heat until golden brown. Then add the garlic, bell pepper and cabbage and cook with the onions for a minute.
- Add the sauerkraut, lemon juice, chicken stock, thyme, oregano and salt and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat with the lid on the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Place the sauerkraut mixture in an oven dish and place the sausage on top. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake the sauerkraut dish in the oven for about 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes.